Updated Instructions: How to Run a Full Node

How to Run a Full Node

Updated instructions for how to run a full node
as of version 0.13.1 are now available on Bitcoin.org. These instructions allow
one to quickly get set up and running with a full node on the following
operating systems:

• Linux

• MacOS

• Windows

In addition to the above operating systems, tips on how to configure a full
bitcoin node for a local area network

and how to tweak the reference client configuration
are available.

Why is running a full bitcoin node important?

Full nodes help enforce the consensus rules of the Bitcoin network. When a full
node client is running, it downloads every new block and every new transaction
and checks them to make sure they are valid. Here are some examples of consensus
rules, though there are many more:

• Blocks may only create a
    certain number of bitcoins.

• Transactions must have correct signatures for the bitcoins being spent.

• Transactions/blocks must be in the correct data format.

• Within the block chain, a transaction
    output cannot be double-spent.

Read more about what a full node is, the consensus rules above and other
incentives for supporting the network in the Bitcoin Wiki.

Minimum Requirements

Bitcoin Core full nodes have certain requirements. If you try running a node on
weak hardware, it may work — but you’ll likely spend more time dealing with
issues. If you can meet the following requirements, you’ll have an easy-to-use
node.

• Desktop or laptop hardware running recent versions of Windows, Mac OS X, or
    Linux.

• 125GB of free disk space (size of the blockchain plus room to grow)

• 2GB of memory (RAM)

• A broadband Internet connection with upload speeds of at least 400 kilobits
    (50 kilobytes) per second

• An unmetered connection, a connection with high upload limits, or a connection
    you regularly monitor to ensure it doesn’t exceed its upload limits. It’s
    common for full nodes on high-speed connections to use 200GB in uploads or more
    a month. Download usage is around 20GB/month, plus around an additional 100GB
    the first time you start your node.

• 6 hours/day that your full node can be left running. (You can do other things
    with your computer while running a full node.) More hours would be better, and
    best of all would be if you can run your node continuously.

Note: many operating systems today (Windows, Mac, and Linux) enter a low-power
mode after the screensaver activates, slowing or halting network traffic. This
is often the default setting on laptops and on all Mac OS X laptops and
desktops. Check your screensaver settings and disable automatic “sleep” or
“suspend” options to ensure you support the network whenever your computer is
running.

What to do if you need help

Please seek out assistance in the community
if you need help setting up your full node correctly to handle high-value and
privacy-sensitive tasks. Do your own diligence to ensure who you get help from
is ethical, reputable and qualified to assist you.

Acknowledgments

A special thanks goes to the contributors (in no preferential order) who have
worked to improve this page over time:

• David Harding

• Kevin Cooper

• Joseph Becher

• Jorgeminator

• Gyomu

• Jonas Schnelli

• Marko Falke

• cpmx

• anduck

• dabura667

• seusher

Interested in getting involved?

Learn how you can participate.

Dave Seer

My name is Dave Seer and I’m an expert about bit coin cryptovalute criptomoney etc.

14 thoughts on “Updated Instructions: How to Run a Full Node

• September 28, 2017 at 10:58 pm

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

• October 7, 2017 at 2:39 pm

I was discussing with a friend of my own on this article and regarding kik messenger download as well. I do believe you made a number of good points in this case, we’re excited to keep reading information from you.

• October 7, 2017 at 6:55 pm

I am really loving the theme of your weblog. Do you face any internet browser compatibility situations? Some of my blog audience have lamented regarding my internet router site not working effectively in Explorer yet looks amazing in Chrome. Do you have any kind of recommendations to aid fix the problem?

• October 9, 2017 at 11:03 am

There are actually loads of particulars like that to take into consideration. That is a great level to bring up. I supply the ideas above as common inspiration however clearly there are questions like the one you bring up the place an important factor shall be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged round things like that, however I’m sure that your job is clearly recognized as a fair game. Both girls and boys really feel the affect of just a moment’s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

• October 12, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Hello, you are certainly right. I frequently read through your articles attentively. I am furthermore fascinated with mobdro apk, you could discuss that occasionally. I will be back!

• October 13, 2017 at 1:23 am

Hey! I recently discovered this excellent website and I certainly like it. I want to chat about medical malpractice attorney occasionally. Good to be here, thanks a lot!

• October 13, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Howdy! I recently noticed this excellent website and I truly enjoy it. I also always like to speak about how to install kodi occasionally. Good to be around, bless you!

• October 13, 2017 at 1:34 pm

You’re certainly correct, I’d really enjoy to find out a lot more on this particular topic! I am as well interested by free facetime app since I consider it is really quite trendy lately. Keep up the good work!

• October 13, 2017 at 2:36 pm

I came right here from some other website relating to iphoto download for mac and considered I may as well look into this. I love what I see so now I am following you. Getting excited about checking out your blog all over again.

• October 13, 2017 at 5:28 pm

I really like what you dudes are up to. This kind of cool work and exposure! Continue the good work guys, I’ve added you on my personal framaroot pc website.

• October 13, 2017 at 5:31 pm

There are certainly terrific improvements on the design of the blog, I definitely like that! My own is relating to framaroot supported devices and now there are lots of things to do, I am currently a rookie in web design. Be careful!

• October 16, 2017 at 6:57 am

You are certainly correct, I’d love to find out even more on this issue! I am as well interested in omega xl for joint pain since I believe it really is quite cool currently. Thanks.

• October 17, 2017 at 11:43 am

You are entirely correct! I really enjoyed looking through this info and I will certainly get back for more as quick as possible. My website is on the subject of download lucky patcher, you can look if you happen to be interested in this.